As a female veteran and entrepreneur, I wondered how I could help empower and make a positive impact on the lives of women. Having spent my entire career navigating through male-dominated industries, I recognized the difficulties that women experience daily. To address these issues, I sought out ways to use my story and business to help fellow female entrepreneurs. At Redhead Apothecary, we take our support of female veterans and businesswomen seriously. We source ingredients and products for our store directly from them where possible. Additionally, we work closely with these individuals, helping them to create or enhance their websites, promote their products, and providing mentorship.
Female agents of change have the power to confront stereotypes, and open the doors for women to ascend to leadership roles. Moreover, as women, we can bring new and different approaches to tackling complex problems. Throughout history, women have been barred from high-powered positions, however we are gradually seeing this begin to change.
Women make up half the population, yet are underrepresented in positions of power and suffer the effects of the global gender pay gap. To the women who are making a difference in their communities, you have my highest admiration! To the women who are ready to make a change, but are unsure of where to begin, here are 10 reasons to start and how you can become an agent of change.
1. Subverting gender roles and expectations – Starting businesses allows women to go against gender norms, leading others to follow their footsteps.
2. Creating jobs – Women entrepreneurs provide opportunities for those in their community, particularly for women who are frequently subject to discrimination in the job market.
3. Advocating diversity – By creating an open, diverse and equitable workplace, this promotes inclusivity and eradicates biases.
4. Resolving societal issues – Many female entrepreneurs have a vested interest in tackling issues such as healthcare, education, and sustainability.
5. Mentoring other women – Being a role model for women in business can be incredibly beneficial, especially when providing guidance and resources.
6. Valuing unique experiences and perspectives – By drawing on unique experiences and points of view, women can offer creative solutions to complex problems.
7. Taking a stand against inequality – Women can use their power to ensure the gender divide is lessened and the global gender pay gap is eradicated.
8. Encouraging a collaborative approach – By adopting a collective approach to problem solving, this can often result in longer lasting results.
9. Applying caring abilities – Caring for families and communities is often a female trait and this can be applied to making a positive difference on a much larger scale.
10. Highlighting value – Women are integral to our societies and their impact can be far-reaching, inspiring growth and progress.
Be the change you wish to see!